next sunday (may 10) is mother’s day. that means every panicking son/daughter/granddaughter has about 5 days to pick out a gift and 5 days to allow for shipping to do it’s magic.
because i was trying to keep it somewhat of a surprise (despite my mother’s reminders that it was coming up), i was texting my father about what i should get her. he rejected every one of my ideas and kept suggesting flowers, but i think those are boring. i finally asked my mom what she wanted and we agreed on a gift, terms still yet to be worked out.
now that the gift has been decided, i am able to post what i think is a pretty funny list of my rejected mother’s day gift ideas.
1. chocolate covered strawberries: shari’s berries are my mother’s day “go to”. who doesn’t love chocolate covered anything, let alone strawberries? this year she specifically asked not to get them.
2. a coffee delivery subscription service: my mother loves coffee, as most people do. she weighs out her starbucks coffee grounds every morning and brews the coffee before she starts the day. i found a couple coffee subscription services (like sightglass) that sounded “fun” to me, but apparently nothing beats starbucks.
3. fancy chocolates: how amazing do these compartes premium chocolate bars look? great packaging and the flavors are amazing (for my mom: dark chocolate/rose pistachio or dark chocolate/peanut honey sea salt, for me: white chocolate/cereal or milk chocolate/waffle cone). i was told no to these, along the same lines as the chocolate covered strawberries.
now here’s where i started getting creative.
4. greek yogurt maker: i was searching on amazon for creative and unique kitchen gift ideas and found a greek yogurt maker. my mom eats greek yogurt every morning, so i thought this sounded fun! this was given a strong no, my mom is happy with the greek yogurt she buys in the store, why would she want to make it?
5. spiralizer: now i actually own this spiralizer, but i thought it sounded like a fun way for my parents to eat zuchini/vegetables for low point pasta-like meals. my dad didn’t even respond to this text, he thought i was joking. they apparently have a mandolin which they say is the same thing but better. oh well.
happy mother’s day! good luck to all the other kids, i hope you have more luck than i did.